Located in the Loire Valley, Montlouis-Sur-Loire is a charming French town that is steeped in history, culture, and beauty. The town is famous for its spectacular vineyards, breathtaking landscapes, and impressive architecture. It’s a must-see destination for any traveler looking to experience the quintessential French countryside.
Getting to Montlouis:
The easiest way to get to Montlouis is by train. The SNCF operates regular services to Montlouis from many major cities, including Paris, Tours, and Amboise. Tickets can be purchased directly from the SNCF website or from online resellers like Omio, Trainline, Raileurope, and All Aboard. While booking tickets with the reseller is convenient, it typically costs 5-15% more than booking directly with the operator.
If you are a resident of another EU country than France, you can travel to Montlouis with Interrail. Interrail passes give you unlimited train travel across Europe, making it a cost-effective option to explore Montlouis and other charming towns in the Loire Valley.
Things to do in Montlouis:
Montlouis offers a plethora of activities and attractions that will appeal to every traveler. Here are some of the top things to do in Montlouis:
1. Explore the vineyards: Montlouis is famous for its vineyards and wineries. Take a tour of the vineyards and taste the delightful wines that are produced here.
2. Visit the castle: Montlouis has an impressive castle that dates back to the 15th century. The castle is open to visitors, and you can explore its many rooms and learn about the town’s rich history.
3. Go cycling: Montlouis boasts many cycling routes that take you through the vineyards and scenic countryside. Rent a bike and explore the town on two wheels.
4. Take a boat ride: Montlouis is located on the banks of the Loire River, and taking a boat ride is an excellent way to see the town from a different perspective.
5. Visit the market: Montlouis also has a bustling market that is open on Fridays and Sundays. Browse through the stalls and shop for local produce, cheese, and other French delicacies.
Where to stay in Montlouis:
Montlouis has a variety of accommodation options that cater to every budget and preference. From luxurious chateaus to cozy bed and breakfasts, there is something for everyone. Some of the top places to stay in Montlouis include Château de la Bourdaisière, La Maison de Famille, and Le Buisson. Make sure to book in advance, especially during the high season.
Montlouis is a charming French town that should be on every traveler’s itinerary. With its beautiful vineyards, impressive architecture, and excellent cuisine, Montlouis is a destination that will enchant and delight. Whether you are traveling solo, with friends, or with family, Montlouis has something to offer everyone. So, pack your bags, book your tickets, and start planning your trip to Montlouis today!